Once a month I’ll be posting two prompts here and challenging you to write & submit a short poem inspired by them. Participation in this challenge is open to everyone, everywhere, free of charge. I will select one PSNH Member poem to publish in the print edition of The Poets’ Touchstone, and one poem from the open pool to publish here on the blog. Each person may submit one poem from each prompt per month. Submissions should be entered into the form below; one entry per form. (You may have to hit the refresh button or clear your cookies if the form does not reappear after you’ve entered your first poem.)
Entries need not be tightly tied to the prompts. All I ask is that the prompts are the starting point — the spark that lights your imagination: Where you take the poem in revision is up to you. For visual prompts allow your mind to wander into the pre- and post- of the captured moment. Step into any view-point — not forgetting the voyeuristic photographer. For the word of the month, any sense of the word is fair game. I personally like to look up common words in the Oxford English Dictionary to see how the meanings we use today developed and morphed over time. I am often inspired by some archaic usage or the journey of the word into English from another tongue. You might even try to use multiple senses of the word in the same poem. Explore, enjoy, revise, and share:-)
Wishing you a fabulous dance with your muse,
~JS (Jessi) Graustein
- Prompts will be posted by 9:00 a.m. US Eastern time on the 1st day of each month.
- Poems should fit the following length guidelines:
- verse poetry: 30 lines or less
- prose poetry: 100 words or less
- hybrid forms: 1-15 lines + a 10-50 word paragraph
- Submissions close at 9:00 p.m. US Eastern time on the last day of the month.
- Selections will be announced in a blog post at PSNHtouchstone.wordpress.com at 9:00 a.m. US Eastern on the 5th day of the following month. To see whether or not your poem was selected, you will need to check back here at (or after) that time.
By filling out the form below, you grant us 1st North American Serial rights if your poem is selected for publication and certify that the submitted work does not violate the copyrights or trademarks of any other individuals or entities. All remaining rights revert to authors upon publication; but if you later resubmit elsewhere, please credit The Poets’ Touchstone.
Open pool poems:
By filling out the form below, you grant us non-exclusive rights to publish the submitted work electronically in perpetuity if your poem is selected for publication, and certify that the submitted work does not violate the copyrights or trademarks of any other individuals or entities.
- Entries for the June prompt close at 9:00 p.m. US Eastern on 30 June 2018.
- Selections will be announced in a blog post at 9:00 a.m. US Eastern on 5 July 2018.